Mycrogrid Materials Recycling (MMR) is announced plans to create perhaps the first solar panel recycling facility in the Southwest.
MMR, located in Coachella Valley, Southern California, will be designed with the help of a solar installation company, Renova Energy, which is also anticipated to be among the first companies to supply panels to be recycled at the facility. The facility would serve as a point to recycle end-of-life solar panels from California and Arizona.
MMR will provide recycling services for solar essential materials, including photovoltaic modules, racking and railing, and ultimately battery storage equipment. The facility will help ease disassembling and recovery process from a photovoltaic panel, 95 percent of which is made of recyclable materials.
More than 90 percent of discarded solar panels end up in landfills and it is anticipated that the retired panels will cover approximately 3,000 football fields by 2030. MMR breaks down solar essential materials for reuse in new products through a safe, advanced and environmentally friendly process, which keeps solar energy a truly sustainable solution.
According to the U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, less than 10 percent of the country’s decommissioned panels are recycled. The remaining 90 percent of used panels often end up in landfills, according to NREL.
Solar panels often have a 25-to-30-year life cycle. Once discarded in landfills, they can leak toxic metal materials such as lead, selenium and cadmium.