TotalEnergies Begins Operations at 380 MW Utility-Scale Solar Power Plant with Battery Storage in Texas

Nov. 3, 2023
While 70% of Myrtle's capacity will supply green electricity to TotalEnergies’ industrial plants in the U.S. Gulf Coast region, the remaining 30% will benefit Kilroy Realty

TotalEnergies has started commercial operations of its utility-scale solar farm, Myrtle Solar in Houston, Texas, which has a capacity of 380 MWp of solar production and 225 MWh of co-located batteries.

The solar power plant comprises of 705,000 ground-mounted photovoltaic panels and produces enough green electricity to cover the equivalent consumption of 70,000 homes.

It also features battery energy storage equipment with a total capacity of 225 MWh to meet grid stabilization needs. The storage is made of 114 high-tech Energy Storage Systems containers designed and assembled by TotalEnergies' affiliate Saft, a developer of industrial batteries.

As part of TotalEnergies’ Go Green Project, which will look after the power needs and reduce the Scope 1+2 emissions of its industrial sites in Port Arthur and La Porte in Texas and Carville in Louisiana by 2025, 70% of Myrtle's capacity will supply green electricity to the company's industrial plants in the U.S. Gulf Coast region.

The remaining 30% of Myrtle's capacity will deliver green electricity to Kilroy Realty, a real estate company, under a 15-year corporate PPA indexed on merchant prices.

The Myrtle project, which benefits from the Inflation Reduction Act Tax Credit mechanisms, will support TotalEnergies' Integrated Power's profitability target of 12%.

"Given the advantages that IRA tax exemptions are generating, we will continue to actively develop our 25 GW portfolio of projects in operation or development in the United States, to contribute to the Company's global power generation target of more than 100 TWh by 2030,” said Vincent Stoquart, Senior Vice President, Renewables at TotalEnergies.